Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Man Bashed By Prawn




It's difficult to believe that I just saw David Helfgott play the beat set of classical music I've ever heard in the same town that produces headlines like the one above on a daily basis.

Nonetheless, it's true. Down the street from where Gina and I live is the Darwin Entertainment Centre. It's great to live "downtown", especially when you can't stop nodding off, like Gina this evening. I can't count how many times that has happened to me. But not this evening!

His set of Liszt, Rachmaninov and Chopin was simply astounding - I've never seen anybody play that well. The Liszt tunes were my favourite although I can't tell you what they were because I refused to shell out for an $8 program. (That is such a scam! It should be illegal to charge money for programs.)

He was an interesting performer to, constantly talking to himself and peering out at the audience as he played. The eccentricity of his bearing was a surprising juxtaposition to the precision of his playing.

At the end of each tune he would leap up from the seat and hop up and down giving the thumbs-up sign to the audience. He received a standing ovation and replied with Flight of the Bumblebees before jogging of the stage, blowing kisses as he went.

Great fun; I will play you the CD next time I see you.

Soon, I hope!

Love:

T

No comments:

Post a Comment